Dative case express indirect object in the sentence. Dative signifies that someone or something is affected by the action or state expressed by the verb in a sentence.
If a verb has two objects the second is usually in Dative case.
Declination for nouns in dative case are:
|Masc. gen. sing.||Adj. -om/em||Noun -u|
|Masc.gen.pl.||Adj. -im||Noun -ima|
|Fem. gend. sing.||Adj. -oj||Noun -i|
|Fem. gen. pl.||Adj. -im||Noun -ama or -ima|
|Neuter gen. sing||Adj. -om /em||Noun -u|
|Neuter gen. pl.||Adj. -im||Noun -ima|
Dative case prepositions:
|Nasuprot||Opposite, Across from|
|Unatoč||In spite of|
Dative Case pronouns:
|Meni (mi) /To me||Nama (nam) / To us|
|Tebi (ti) / To you||Vama (vam)/ To you|
Njima (im) / To them
|Njemu (mu) /To him|
Njoj (joj) / To her
Njemu (mu) / To it
Dative Case Interrogative Pronouns:
Kome/ To Whom
Čemu / To What
Example of Dative Case with and without prepositions:
- Pružio mi je ruku / He extended his arm to me ( To me or mi is dative case).
- Ona mu je dala odgovor. / She answered him or She gave him an answer.
- Samo nam je još to trebalo. / We only needed that.
- Odlično ti je odijelo / That is an excellent suit.
- Kupila nam je sladoled. / She bought an ice cream for us / to us.