Comparatives are adjectives used to express relative property, example big vs. bigger.
Formation of comparatives in Bosnian:
The comparative form of adjectives can be formed either by endings: -ji, -iji
- nov – noviji (new — newer)
- bijel – bijelji (white — whiter).
- star – stariji (old — older).
..or by ending: -ši
note: These adjectives are exceptions
- mek – mekši (soft — softer)
- lak – lakši (easy — easier)
- lijep – ljepši (beautiful — more beautiful)
Superlative form of an adjective:
The superlative is formed by adding the prefix -naj + adjective in comparative form.
- Bolji – najbolji (better — the best).
- Zgodniji — Najzgodniji (Handsome — The most handsome).
- Ljepša — Najljepša (Prettier — the prettiest).
note: Most one-syllable adjectives have complicated alternations of their final consonants in comparative, so their comparative form must be remembered and you also have to remember which adjectives have alternations and which just add -iji):
|Good||Dobar ->||Bolji ->||Najbolji|
|Bad||Loš ->||Gori ->||Najgori|
|Quite||Tih ->||Tiši ->||Najtiši|
|Long||Dug ->||Duži ->||Najduži|
To say that something is e.g. bigger, better, smarter, prettier etc. than something else, use ‘od’ + Genitive after the comparative:
- Ja sam starija od moje sestre. / I am older than my sister. (stara — starija , older).
- On je najpametniji od svih njih. / He is the smartest out of all of them (pametan — najpametniji, smartest).
- Plivanje je zabavnije od pisanja. / Swimming is more fun than writing. ( zabavno — zabavnije, more fun).